Compliance with Energy Codes
Energy code compliance must be achieved to realize the considerable benefits inherent in energy codes. BECP supports successful compliance by making no-cost compliance tools, REScheck™ and COMcheck™, and other resources widely available to everyone.
BECP has also developed several resources to help states uniformly assess the rate of compliance with their energy codes for residential and commercial buildings. It is important to note that regardless of the level of enforcement, as a law the building owner/developer is ultimately responsible to comply with the energy code.
Compliance will be increased if the adopting agency prepares the building construction community to comply with the energy code and provides resources to code officials to enforce it.
Steps for Compliance
- KNOW which energy code is applicable to a particular project.
- CHOOSE a compliance path within the applicable energy code.
- KNOW the requirements of the applicable energy code.
- DESIGN a building to meet the requirements of the applicable energy code.
- DOCUMENT the design of the building in plans and specifications.
- CONSTRUCT the building to meet plans and specifications.
- DOCUMENT the “as-built” building in plans and specifications.
- MAKE SURE the building operates as intended by the designer.
- PROVIDE energy code compliance documentation to the code official and building owners.
- GET assistance on energy code and compliance questions.