Utility Savings Estimators
Download the Utility Savings Estimators: Commercial Estimator | Residential Estimator
(These *.zip files contain the Microsoft® Excel® macro-enabled (*.xlsm) estimator files. You will need to download and extract the files before use.)
These estimators were developed by the Building Energy Codes Program (BECP) to
- help utilities estimate potential energy savings from increased compliance with energy codes using well-understood definitions of compliance, and
- provide easily understood results that can be compared across several utilities or several segments within utility coverage areas, or aggregated to the national level.
View the BECP Utility Estimator Tool Demonstration Webinar video that demonstrates the estimators and answers common questions.
The utility savings estimators are based on the same methodology used by BECP to assess national benefits of energy codes. Although the residential and commercial estimators are separate tools, they follow the same methodology. View the BECP Utility Estimator Tool Webinar video describing the tools and the methodology used.
How They Work
There are 10 steps required to run the estimators, and instructions are provided to explain every step. However, for ease of use, the tools contain several defaults which can be overwritten by the users if desired. Defaults are included for code-to-code savings, commercial and residential floor space forecasts, projected code adoption, energy conversion factors, and emissions multipliers. Utilities can overwrite the defaults with their own utility-specific details/assumptions.
User-provided data is required for only two items:
- Compliance – This input drives the analysis. The user must specify the alternative scenario by entering the level of compliance compared to the base case.
- Floor Space – The state-level floor space forecast is provided by default. The user must enter an adjustment factor to scale the state-level forecast up or down as applicable.
This figure depicts the steps and flow of the tools.
The savings estimators provide the following results, which can be saved as CSV files:
- Energy savings (Site, Source, Upstream and Full Fuel Cycle) as a result of increased compliance – By fuel type, by year, and cumulative over the analyzed time frame
- Energy cost savings – By year and NPV over the analyzed time frame
- Emissions savings (SO2, NOx, Hg, N2O, CH4, CO2) – By year and cumulative over the analyzed time frame