The Building Energy Codes Program (BECP), offers a comprehensive collection of information, resources, and technical assistance designed to answer questions and address issues related to energy codes. This includes frequently asked questions, publications, compliance software and tools, and training modules based on best practices. BECP's team of building energy codes experts is also available to answer specific questions submitted through the web-based help desk.
State Technical Assistance
DOE provides technical assistance to help states and local code enforcement jurisdictions adopt, upgrade, implement, and enforce their residential and commercial building energy codes. This assistance is provided explicitly through the DOE Building Energy Codes Program and does not support direct funding to states or municipalities. Technical assistance may take the form of:
- Analysis of energy savings and cost impacts associated with code adoption
- Comparative analysis of future code options
- Potential modification of model code language
- Customized educational materials
- Web-based or in-person training programs
- Compliance resources and software tools
Funding to provide no-cost technical assistance is limited. In assessing each request, DOE may consider the following issues:
- Potential impact of the proposed assistance
- Reach based on current practices and construction starts
- Consistency with DOE adoption and compliance goals
Technical assistance requests submitting by states may be prioritized over those requested by localities. All formal state-level technical assistance requests must be made by selecting the 'Formal Technical Assistance Request' option on the help desk form.
Jurisdictions seeking technical assistance for Building Performance Standards are encouraged to review the resources on the Building Performance Standards page.
Subscribe to updates
To receive updates from the Building Energy Codes Program, including newsletters, articles, compliance tool updates and more, subscribe to the BECP mailing list.